Sunday, March 25, 2007

Space: Above and Beyond was such a great show...


Running in the vein of my early pieces meant for shows that I, for some reason or another, never handed in to show: this is one of my early pieces meant for a show that I, for some reason or another, never handed in to show. I usually hear about shows along the grapevine and usually, altogether too late.

Nonetheless, I like this piece because of the red. I love using cadmium colors because they are just really, really loud. They can make your piece worth a damn and I have yet to get bored of the effect. In any case, here, I've already come to terms with the fact that I like working on wood and that it's more accommodating for my tendencies to use dry brush. Canvas is nice, but it lacks this element of surprise that wood has. Paper is the same way, unless it has a wacky tooth to it. I like happy accidents and wood just does that for me.

A brief aside to this one is that I used india ink - something that you won't see a lot in my later work, as I made a switch to pencil. I still have yet to pin down the reason for it. I think it has something to do with ink being extremely final and loud, where pencil can just kind of hang out on the painting. I like being loud with color, but not with line. Go figure.


Take care,

Andrew

No comments: