Sunday, March 25, 2007

That damned cadmium red and that damned worm



After posting that last blog, keeping in mind the piece that it was about and the devices mentioned, it's funny to bring these two up, because, with the last piece, I ended up breaking the bottom of the plank of wood intentionally and then painting on it. I like the effect so much that I used it for these two.

One thing to note is that all of the paintings I'll post up here have no real sketch phase. Although, now I use a sketch phase for general ideas. When I paint, I usually just jump into it and really try to just paint, instead of planning everything out and using tricks to get there. I'll have an initial concept, but it changes by the end of it, which I like.

Anyways, these two pieces are funny to me because they really emphasize the two devices I talked about in the last post. The red one is not only the loudest of my pieces (because of that cadmium red), but also one of my smallest, only being about 1"x1". When all of my pieces are hanging together, that one is the absolute loudest, which I find awesome. The worm one is funny because I consider it to be the only one of my pieces that uses ink that actually uses it, if that makes any sense. I can't really imagine a better medium for that worm, and, beyond that, I can't imagine having the courage now to try that again. So, that one holds a special spot in my body of work. It's also pretty small, but not worth talking about in that respect.

Another brief note: I don't really title my pieces. That isn't because I want them all to be mysteriously "untitled", but because I just haven't thought of titles for them. I'd probably just end up naming them very plainly or very in a very strange and very personal manner. I'm sure I'll get around to it.


Take care,

Andrew

No comments: